Team Defending: Four Goal GameWatch this video on thecoachingmanual.com
Set-up a ~30x40 pitch. Mark the halfway-line.
Add two small goals to each end-line.
Play 4v4 plus a GK on each team.
Attacking team starts in a 1-2-1 formation, defending team in a 2-2 shape.
Encourage the defensive team to identify when to press as a unit or when to drop and form a defensive block.
- Who applies pressure?
- Who provides cover? Where?
- Who is providing balance? Where?
- When to drop?
- When to step up?
- What should be the angle of approach?
- How fast to approach?
- What is the distance of approach?
- What is the angle of recovery?
- How to get compact when the ball is wide?
- How to get compact when the ball is central?