Running With The Ball: Technical Warm UpWatch this video on thecoachingmanual.com
Set-up a 20x20 grid.
Give each player a soccer ball and ask them to dribble around the area.
Coach can call out or show moves that the players then perform.
- Shimmy/"Matthews" (fake inside/take outside)
- Fake and take/"Messi" (fake outside/take across body)
- Scissors/"Ronaldo" (circle ball/take with other foot)
- Outside cut/"Xavi"
- Inside cut/"Rooney"
- Drag back/"Puskas"
- Hook turn/"Cruyff" (inside cut behind standing leg)
Coaches command players to speed dribble around a tall cone/flag/pole and get back into the middle.
- How do we dribble fast over distance?
- Why do we turn?
- Which way is best to turn?
- What should we check before we turn?
- How quickly should we accelerate after changing directions?