Creating Chances From Central Areas: Small-Sided GameWatch this video on thecoachingmanual.com
Set-up a ~50x70 pitch with a large goal on each end-line.
When attacking teams play GK-3-1-2, when defending teams play GK-4-2.
Encourage players to identify opportunities to play through the central areas, and opportunities to break out of the central areas and use the channels.
- What determines the type of pass you will utilize? What part of your foot?
- What makes a good pass?
- What do players do before receiving a ball?
- How should a player's body be when receiving? Where is their first touch?
- When do players off the ball make their run/check to the ball?
- How do you commit a defender towards the ball?
- How does an attacking team know when to attack in the central channel?
- When and how to penetrate?
- Where and when to support
- When, where and why to make runs?
- How and why to use improvisation?